Hey SG! Capt SistaGurl has been receiving a lot of inbox questions and we had to grab some answers from some of the experts. Meet Elizabeth Colen, Wellness Expert, Super Mom, Baddie, and Journalist extraordinaire. She's going to take the reigns for this one! Let us know what you think about it! We hope this post helps someone like our poster.
I want to start my nutrition journey but my household of four is addicted to all the wrong food choices, my husband and son rarely eat vegetables, and only potatoes when they're fried. I would rather not make two separate meals each night! I'm working hard enough! Do you have any suggestions is there a way to trick them into eating healthy?
Fried Potato Family
Dear Fried Potato family,
I first want to start by saying think you for writing in, I know it is hard for a family of four to eat the same (especially when there are different tastes is involved.) It takes courage to put things in writing and ask for advice. Saying that to say, I have a few tips that you and your family could try and it will be as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Have a family meeting and set goals as a team, write them down and discuss freely and openly with each other. (EXP. Try a 1 new veggie a week. Or have a green leafy salad with one meal a day. Be creative and be adventurous. Remember, your taste buds change every 14 days so don’t sweat it that much.)
- Assign a day that each team member will come up with a new recipe to try (new veggie) explore find healthy recipes online, buy a cookbook. This could be loads of fun!
- Clean your kitchen cabinets as well as the refrigerator to reflect what your goals represent. If you want to lose weight get rid of junk food, not saying you can never have them, but if you have them in your homes (easily assessable) you will eat more of them. If you have to actually get dressed, put on shoes, and leave your home to get them you will really decide if you want them that much!
- Reward yourself each week so that you can celebrate your achievements, no matter how small. Start a money jar and put coins or peoples in them every time you follow through with your goals.
- Do a family activity that you guys can get up and move together.
Listen, as a team you guys can accomplish anything! Working together to live a healthy lifestyle is one of the most rewarding goals as a family and you will discover that there is so much you can do to explore and grow as a team.
Keep us informed as to how this is working for you and your family, I have faith in you guys!
Elizabeth Colen A.K.A Ms. FitOne